Smith, leading citizen, dies

Ozaukee Press, Wisconsin
May 21, 1973

Smith, leading citizen, dies; Ozaukee Press, Wisconsin; May 21, 1973; Oliver H. Smith Obituary

Oliver H. Smith, 76, of 309 Norport Dr., a leading Port Washington citizen for many years, died apparently of a heart attack and was found dead on his boat, Ollie II in the Port harbor, on Monday morning.

He was born in Port Washington on Feb. 8, 1897, son of Capt. Delos Smith and Delia B. Wassihk, and was married to Leota Cooley of West Bend on Jan. 15, 1921.

Survivors are his wife; one daughter, Mrs. Virginia Haack of Redlands, Calif; three sons, Bert, Lincoln, and Daniel Smith, all of Port Washington, three daughters-in-law; 14 grandchildren; two sisters, Miss. Evelyn Smith and Mrs. Earl (Hope) Huwatschek, both of Port Washington. A brother, Lester, preceded him in death in 1938.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Masonic Temple, Port Washington, with the Rev. James Liebnow of Congregational United Church of Christ, Port Washington officiating. Interment will be made at Port Washington Union cemetery. Friends may call at Poole funeral home, Port Washington, after 3 p.m. Wednesday, at the Masonic Temple after 10 a.m. Thursday.

Memorials appreciated to Masonic Lodge, favorite charity, or Masonic Treatment Center.

Capt. Smith was chairman of the board of Smith Bros., operators of commercial fishing on the Great Lakes for 125 years, and Fish Shanty Restaurant. Member of U.S. Fisheries Commission, charter member of National Fisheries Institute, Wisconsin Fisheries Advisory Board, Wisconsin Dealers Assn.

He was a member and post master of Ozaukee Lodge F. & A.M. 17, Royal Arch Masons, Scottish Rite of Wisconsin, Tripoli Shrine, past patron of Eastern Star, Sheboygan Comandery, Royal Order of Jesters.

He was a member of Port Washington Rotary, first president of Port Washington Police and Fire Commission, Port Yacht Club, Wisconsin Historical Society.

Mr. Smith was connected with the fishing business on the Great Lakes for 60 years.

At 18, soon after he was graduated from Port Washington High School in 1915, he became captain of his own boat. Through­out his career, he commanded several boats ranging in size from 30 feet to 60 feet which plied the Great Lakes. He was also involved in smoking fish in smoke houses.

According to a son, Smith was stranded in Lake Michigan in the late 1940s when his boat developed engine trouble. After drifting for a day, he was finally rescued ten miles off Sheboygan.

In 1967 a fire of unknown origin extensively damaged Smith’s $50,000 pleasure cruiser, the Ollie, while the cruiser was moored in the Port Washington harbor.